A Guide to Building Permits in Victoria

A Guide to Building Permits in Victoria
As per the Building Codes of Australia website “Under the Building Code Act, a building permit is required for the construction and/or demolition of a new building, an addition, or material alteration of any building or structure“.

Building Codes are to give reasonable assurance that buildings are safe from structural failure, fire hazards, electrical and heating systems, electrical shock and health risks.

Building permits provide a permanent record of the work performed and inspections conducted on the project to ensure its compliance with the Building Code.


When do I need a building permit?

● If a shed has a floor area of greater than 10m2

● 3m or more in height, or, is situated within 1m of a boundary, and is more than 2.4m

in height

● Shed is located further forward than the front wall of the single dwelling.


What is the price of a building permit with Shed Bonanza help?

Shed Bonanza Building standard domestic Melbourne Metro permits are $990 which covers the following (current at 15/10/2018)

● Application to Building Surveyors

(it covers any cost they have for sending off for a Section 80 to the council making sure they are the only surveyors that have been appointed to the job).

● Engineering;

● Basic Site plan / Elevations;

● Ordering of the Title Plan of Sub and any other relevant documents such as covenants and

instruments requested so as to ascertain any easements or any other issues that may directly

affect your building permit;

● Supply of a finalised building permit. ( Pre Slab / Concrete Inspection and Final Inspection /

Sign off )


What is the cost of a Building Permit if I decide to obtain it by myself?

You need to purchase the Engineering for your proposed shed from Shed Bonanza for $500.00 and then engage a Building Surveyor. You will be required to purchase a recent copy of title, plan of subdivision,Information request under Section 80 and further documents such as covenants and caveats. You will then need to pay an application fee to the Building Surveyor. The cost of a building permit is typically between $500 and $1,200 for small construction projects.


What do I need to do to get a Building Permit?

● Once you have signed for your Building Permit with Shed Bonanza and have supplied your signed letter of appointment, invoice and confirmed the proposed buildings location we will order all the relevant documents ( i.e. Title, Plan Of Sub, Covenants and Instruments) and then proceed to send in an application to Building Surveyors for assessment.

● After it has been assessed by Building Surveyors, they will issue a Request For Information (RFI). We will obtain all information where applicable and may require further information from you. Once all information is received the Building Surveyor will apply to the council for the Section 80 (making sure that no other surveyors have been engaged for the project).

Note the permit does not include Planning Permits or Report and Consent Applications / Dispensations. All Report and Consent / Dispensation requests must be ordered directly by you  at your cost.

● Once all the RFI have been completed (some of which can take a couple of weeks to follow up via the council) and sent through to Building Surveyors the permit will then be issued and sent to you.


How long does it take to get a Building Permit?

Permit times can vary as there are so many components and documents involved. The time depends on the requests from third parties such as Councils, Titles Office and Surveyors.

Shed Bonanza will do most of the work towards achieving the permit quickly and efficiently although if there are council requirements there may be a delay which is completely out of Shed Bonanzas hands.

To ensure a smooth process please ensure that all Build over Easements, Report and Consents and Dispensations that are required are approved prior to putting in the permit application. This will ensure that the permit will come through quickly with minimal delay.


When will my Building Permit be denied?

There are very few circumstances where a permit would be denied. It would usually only be if the council denies any applications for Build over Easements, Report and Consents or Dispensations.


Getting Shed Bonanza to apply for your permit should save you the headache of dealing with councils and building regulations. We handle hundreds of permits a year and understand the process and the regulations. Our Sales Consultants or Building Permit Coordinators are always available to provide an update or any support you may need to make the process as quick as possible.


Be the first to receive exclusive offers on our products and services, tips and how-to's directly in your inbox.