When do you need a building permit?

Wondering whether you need a permit to build your dream shed? We have all the answers on the Shed Bonanza blog.

As per the Building Codes of Australia website “Under the Building Code Act, a building permit is required for the construction and/or demolition of a new building, an addition, or material alteration of any building or structure“.

There are many things to consider before starting your building, such as whether your job requires a Building Permit or a Planning Permit (or both).

 If a Planning Permit is required, it must be obtained before a Building Permit can be issued, however, both applications can be made at the same time. A Planning Permit does not remove the need to obtain a Building Permit. The best way to find out whether you need a Planning Permit is to contact your local council's Town Planning Office. Although in some circumstances you will still need to get a Planning Permit even if you were advised that you didn't. 

Building Permits provide a permanent record of the work performed and inspections conducted on the project to ensure its compliance with the Building Code.


When do I need a Building Permit?

● If a shed has a floor area of greater than 10m2

● 3m or more in height, or, is situated within 1m of a boundary and is more than 2.4m

in height

● The shed is located further forward than the front wall of the single dwelling.


What is the price of a Building Permit with Shed Bonanza's help?

Shed Bonanza Building Standard Domestic Melbourne Metro Permits are $1190 which covers the following (current at 19/07/2019)

● Application to Building Surveyors

(it covers any cost they have for sending off for a Section 80 to the council making sure they are the only surveyors that have been appointed to the job).

● Engineering;

● Basic Site Plan / Elevations;

● Ordering of the Title Plan of Sub and any other relevant documents such as covenants and

instruments requested so as to ascertain any easements or any other issues that may directly

affect your building permit;

●  Pre Slab/Concrete Inspection and Final Inspection/Sign off 

● Supply of a finalised building permit.

Are there any extra costs?

There may be some extra costs if you will need extra documents from a Council. 

If you require a Planning Permit, it will be charged depending on your Council's fees.

The most common documents from a Council, that will require an extra charge:

  • Report and Consent;
  • Build Over Easement;

What is the cost of a Building Permit if I decide to obtain it by myself?

You need to purchase the Engineering for your proposed shed from Shed Bonanza (from $500) and then engage a Building Surveyor. You will also be required to purchase a recent copy of a title, plan of subdivision, Information request under Section 80 and further documents such as covenants and caveats. You will then need to pay an application fee to the Building Surveyor. The cost of a building permit is typically between $500 and $1,200 for small construction projects.


What do I need to do to get a Building Permit?

● Once you have signed for your Building Permit with Shed Bonanza and have supplied your signed letter of appointment, invoice and confirmed the location of the proposed building we will order all the relevant documents ( i.e. Title, Plan Of Sub, Covenants and Instruments) and then proceed to send in an application to Building Surveyors for assessment.

● After it has been assessed by Building Surveyors, they will issue a Request For Information (RFI). We will obtain all information where applicable and may require further information from you. Once all information is received the Building Surveyor will apply to the council for Section 80 (making sure that no other surveyors have been engaged for the project).

Note the permit does not include Planning Permits or Report and Consent Applications / Dispensations. All Report and Consent / Dispensation requests must be ordered directly by you  at your cost.

● Once all the RFI have been completed (some of which can take a couple of weeks to follow up via the Council) and sent through to Building Surveyors the Permit will then be issued and sent to you.


How long does it take to get a Building Permit?

Permit times can vary as there are so many components and documents involved. The time depends on the requests from third parties such as Councils, Titles Office and Surveyors.

Shed Bonanza will do most of the work towards achieving the permit quickly and efficiently although if there are council requirements there may be a delay which is completely out of Shed Bonanzas hands.

To ensure a smooth process please ensure that all Build over Easements, Report and Consents and Dispensations that are required are approved prior to putting in the permit application. This will ensure that the permit will come through quickly with minimal delay.


When will my Building Permit be denied?

There are very few circumstances where a permit would be denied. It would usually only be if the council denies any applications for Build over Easements, Report and Consents or Dispensations.

When do I have to start building my structure (Building work relating to houses and outbuildings)?

The building should commence within 12 months of the date of issue of the Building Permit and have to complete all the works within 24 months of the date of issue of the Building Permit. 


Getting Shed Bonanza to apply for your permit should save you the headache of dealing with councils and building regulations. We handle hundreds of permits a year and understand the process and the regulations. Our Sales Consultants or Building Permit Coordinators are always available to provide an update or any support you may need to make the process as quick as possible.



This article is written to the best knowledge and research of the writer. Shed Bonanza takes no responsibility for misguided, misused information. You must research what consents may be needed from your local council.